Master thesis project in Molecular biology/cell/RNA biology lab
Interested students are welcome to join the RNA biology group at CGC (Chemical Genomics Center) of the Max-Planck Society in Dortmund under the supervision of Dr. Jochen Imig to carry out a research practical or master thesis.
At the Imig group we are interested on discovering long non-coding RNA/miRNA networks controlling cancer metastasis. We use different methods to study these networks such as CRISPR-Cas9 screening and RNA immunoprecipitation (in particular miR-CLIP). We aim to optimize a novel dual Cas9 system to screen for simultaneous knock-out of two RNA molecules in a cancer cell; this will give us information about RNA molecules that have direct genetic interactions and cooperate together in a cell. We also aim to define miRNA-lncRNA interactome in cancer cells by advancing a known RNA immunoprecipitation method called miR-CLIP.
At CGC we work closely with four pharmaceutical companies (Merck, AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Roche) that sponsor our projects.
- Bachelor in biology, biochemistry or similar field
- Student of master degree in a relevant field (background in molecular biology)
- Good knowledge of English
- Passionate about science, ambitious and hard-working student
- Good theoretical knowledge in cell and molecular biology
- Familiar with concepts of molecular biology techniques
- Previous hands on experience in molecular/cell biology techniques would be desirable but not mandatory (e.g. PCR, bacterial cloning, SDS-page, cell culture, etc.)
Projects will generally include following methods:
- PCR and Real time PCR
- DNA cloning
- Cell culture techniques
- Protein-RNA interaction (immunoprecipitation)
Master thesis will be based on one of the following subjects:
- Project1: Optimization of a specific immunoprecipitation technique with biochemical approaches,
- Project2: Optimization of a CRISPR-Cas9 tool by molecular cloning
What you will gain:
If you choose project 1) you will learn about non-coding RNAs and their network. You will gain expertise in biochemical method development. You will learn how to culture and transfect cells.